Cosmic Dimensions

Jerod Mayo, 1st Black Head Coach in Patriots History, Officially Introduced

Jerod Mayo introduced as New England Patriots' next head coach

This is quite a big moment for diversity in the NFL. Jerod Mayo was officially named as the next head coach of the New England Patriots, succeeding the iconic Bill Belichick. Mayo becomes the first Black head coach in the over six-decade history of the Patriots, and not only that, he's the first coach of the post-Belichick era! Many NFL fans, myself included, have been longing for some forward direction when it comes to diversity among the league's group of head coaches. At the current moment, there six Black head coaches in the NFL:  Mayo, Mike McDonald (Dolphins), DeMeco Ryans (Texans), Todd Bowles (Buccaneers), Antonio Pierce (Raiders--on an interim basis as of this moment), and of course, Mike Tomlin (Steelers). If you add Jets' coach Robert Saleh, there are seven head coaches of color in the NFL.

Seven coaches of color out of 32 teams in the NFL. It's one short of the 25% mark, but it's a lot higher than it once was. For a very brief moment, Tomlin and Saleh were the only coaches of color in the NFL--just two years ago. The sad part is, our want and need for diversity is met with baseless accusations that we're "anti-White" or "trying to get rid of all of the White coaches." Give me a break. We just want a fair chance, that's all. I'm glad Mayo is getting one, especially following the departure of an iconic head coach.

• Like 1